– Feeling pretty bent out of shape lately. I’ve been moody, too.
Here’s an in progress of Kenneth’s piece:
– And in progress piece titled; ‘Stuntman’:
– I deeply love this song.
– That’s what my thesis is about now! Televisual catharsis.
Where I will explore and investigate contemporary televised catharsis and how it functions to provide empathetic experiences that are not commonly considered or contemplated. The research supports the relevance of tragedy [in select series] and the different ways in which it is defined; how it serves as the lens of human experience–and how it creates an exploration of second-hand empathy. The six thesis illustrations accompanying this will focus solely on the dark aesthetic featured in two shows in particular; Breaking Bad & The Wire. My contention, however, is to also explore what catharsis means–on behalf of my fascination in the emotional release that is experienced after feeling and expressing one’s emotions about a traumatic event.
– Plus… the beautiful flower cactus living in my studio.
– ALSO re-designed my Tumblr.
– So, this whole time I’ve been re-designing my website in it’s entirety. The way it looks RIGHT NOW–is awful. Looks nothing like my style. It’s just UGLY. Anyway, I was working with Wix and planned on transferring my domain name. However…
Last night I randomly started looking at other female artists’ websites. I realized that–if I’m going to be a PROFESSIONAL artist / illustrator / designer, I can’t afford to compromise on first impressions–the site I have now / have been working on–it is not the BEST I can do. I need to apply myself entirely. So I’m starting from scratch and making this site look more like what Nubbly Twiglet made for some of her clients.
– I’m also going to be at ECCC at the end of March. Can’t wait for that!
– Here’s some stuff I’ve made lately:
– In progress piece for thesis:
– Still life drawing:
– Observational drawing:
– Annnnddd I love this song.
– I’ve been re-designing my entire website… I couldn’t deal with the bleaky templates anymore. I needed something more ‘Zamudio’-ish. It’s not my ultimate dream-site yet, but…
– I also made my business cards so that you can shrinky-dink them! I want to shrink my cards in case I get mouse clients…
Speaking of clients–I had a lovely meeting with one of them this afternoon at Blue Moon. Other than that, I’ve been swamped with homework / thesis work.
– Submitted five works to the Seattle Erotic Art Festival. I don’t know if I’m in yet–but I’ll tell ya! It’s in the end of June. I’m moving up there after May [when I graduate] and think it’d be neat to have something open up gallery-wise for me right away. Might have a second show in Seattle, as well.
– It’s somewhat strange because I never intend to do gallery shows. I never intend to have a lot of them, either–but so far I’ve had them all over the place since this year started.
– From now til the end of April, I’m busy-busy-busy with thesis work. I’ll let you in on some of the process soon, promise. ❤
– My apologies for it taking me a while to update!
– I didn’t take any photos of the opening night at D-Structure [on lower Haight street]–mainly because I was too busy talking people into buying my work, meeting new artists and drinking.
– Six of my pieces will be here on display all month long! I’m anxious to know if I’ve sold anything since last week’s opening.
– Right now I am working on thumbnails / prompts for my thesis. Meeting with my professor Martin French on Friday.
– Working for three different clients right now. The money from that, the work in SF, and my last refund check should put me in a good place as far as being financially prepared for my move to downtown Seattle in June.
– School starts again next week. Last semester of college, and in May I finally obtain my Bachelor’s degree. 🙂
– Resolutions, goals–what have you. Every year I make a new list, and surprisingly enough I accomplish most of what’s on it!
1. Get an internship.
3. Complete an amazing thesis.
4. Obtain a job in Seattle when I move [May 2012]
5. Have two/three more gallery shows [solo show?]
6. Build a cliental [start my career]
7. At least a few photoshoots.
8. Save hella money and easily pay back loans.
9. Buy a puppy when I move?
10. Get published in three magazines.
-I’m excited for the future.
– I’ve been officially on winter break since last Thursday. I’m pretty relieved to say the least. Passed my thesis proposal, printed & obtained the frames for the show in SF, and went to Santarchy here in Seattle!
– Qais and I before we took off last night. So much fun! We found Waldo in the mix of Santas–and messed with his head a little–dressed up, got drunk, and smoked on the most amazing balcony. I wish I had taken a camera… got a new one for Christmas, but I’m not allowed to have it until then.
– Started playing Skyrim early this morning… I’m thinking I want to get going on the two commissions I have lined up so I can spend some moola on new hair stuff or a gym membership. I’ve been hibernating HARD.
Everything in life is replaceable, money, cars, friends, lovers, your mountain of crack. You can get new friends, a new relationship, more money, more crack… The only thing that is not able to be replaced is yourself. Don’t accept shit from anyone. Someone do something you don’t like? Cut that fuck out of your life without remorse or a second thought. I don’t care who you are in my life, I know my own value, and I know I can go out any night of the week and meet new people. So don’t think just because you are part of my life means that you will be a year from now. Call me a douche, heartless, whatever you want, I really don’t care what anyone thinks or has to say about me. I do not fear change, I embrace it wholeheartedly! With change comes progress, growth, and unimaginable opportunity! So if you get in the way of that, you won’t be there for long.
– James Walker
My list of number one products out there concerning make-up and looking hott. Let’s go.
1. MAC Skin-finish Natural [light]
– This stuff is the best. If you use a good primer, it’ll look as if you don’t have any foundation/powder on at all. This is the ONLY MAC foundation I’ll use. Everything else at MAC is WAY too cakey and noticeable. Gross.
Plus, it lasts you quite a while, definitely over six months. $29
2. MAC “Cranberry” Eyeshadow:
– This’ll make your green / blue eyes sexy as all hell. Everyone I know / meet loves it. Ladies at the Bank while making a deposit, people on the street, guys in class, etc. People will be talking to you at the bus stop, not leaving you alone. $15
3. Benefit San Francisco’s POREfessional
– Put this shit on after you moisturize and before you apply foundation. You REALLY want to look naturally beautiful? Naturally sexy? This covers up ALL of your pores. It smoothes out your skin and feels like sculpey. Bizarre texture, but it feels so good after you apply it. The whole world will try to bone you and your skin will even smell good. Please take my word for it. $29
4. Maybelline Eye-Brow-Liner
– There’s no need to spend so much money on this utensil. It looks natural and is more affordable than other brow liners. These babies give shape to your eyebrows, thus making them look more defined and sultry. $13
– These are the only make-up products I strongly advise you to at least try.
– Here is my latest piece!
– My buddy Ellie and I went out last night to First Thursday. Cold as balls, but we made the best of it. Visited the Breeze Block gallery, said hi to a bunch of people. One of Jeff’s pieces was in the 5 year anniversary show, but he himself wasn’t around. Had a lot of fun! We went over to Alex’s shop afterwards, smoked by the fire place and tried to operate a toy helicopter that had a camera built inside. Alex is trying to practice flying it by Saturday, when Occupy is getting together for another protest. He wants to fly the helicopter over the police to spy, hahaha. It’s called SpyRyder.
– My thesis proposal, by the way–went really well. Not as many people showed up as I thought there’d be, but it was okay because a new client attended–pulled me aside afterward and asked if I wanted to make his album cover art for $200. I said hell yes.
– I realize that I HAVE been working hard. I never really think that I do.
– Two more weeks of this semester left! I’m so happy. I’m having Martin hook me up with an internship at a design firm for this next semester. My last four months of school EVER. I don’t know what to think. Soon enough I’ll have my Bachelor’s degree.
– Frank remembers that it’s hot buttered rum season. I first told him about it a year ago, when I was deeply infatuated with him. He thought it was the weirdest thing, hot buttered rum.
– Lastly, here is the circus poster I made for my last client. I kind of hate it! It’ll be posted all over Portland soon.
This is the room I’m in, eighteen hours of the day. Sometimes more. Not always working, of course. As sad as that sounds, I love it. When I graduate in May and move to Seattle I’m setting up an even cozier room for work / drawing / sleep / cuddles.
– My little table of goodies! And my small pile of jewelry in a bowl on the bottom right…
– And here is my Familiar! She is the most loving cat you’ll ever know. ❤
I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. List and briefly talk about the beauty products I use and recommend. I have friends who often ask what’s what, and from now on I can point them in this direction.
Note: My skin requires more abrasive products, because my skin is oily and used to break out pretty badly. If you have really sensitive, normal/dry skin–some of these recommendations are not for you.
1. Dr.Bronner’s, preferably the peppermint flavor. It lasts a long time, and really cleans the skin unlike anything else. You already know. $8 – $16
2. Tea Tree Toner, from LUSH. Tea tree oil is the best for skin like mine, it makes my skin glow and look ‘radiant’. $8
3. Josie Maran’s Argan oil. If you have big pores/oily skin–THIS IS FUCKING FOR YOU. Oil + oil cancels itself out, trust me. If you use it too much, it kind of makes your skin dry. This controls oil like nothing else out there. $45
5. Benefit San Francisco’s Dr.Feel-good. This covers pores so that you can’t see them. AT ALL. It’s fucking amazing. Smells good and makes me feel beautiful. $29
Stay tuned for next week when I post about hair recommendations, and make-up! :p
– I’ve never been more stressed out in my life, and it’s just me doing it to myself. But there’s so much pressure. Everyone in my department is hagard, including me.
– Still trying to find the middle ground between posting art and getting into my more personal opinions.
– I just want to stay up for a few days and get through the work.
– So incredibly exhausted this last week. I hit the ground running when I got back from Seattle. Luckily, tomorrow is my Friday and I can relax a little. I’ve been driving to school lately as well, which makes for a better day. Commuting is a real drag.
– You can’t even tell what’s going on. Nevermind, I guess I’ll show you a better in-progress shot later. Maybe tomorrow I’ll post my thesis speech that I’ve been working on. The trial run on Tuesday in my Professional Practices class went pretty well. Here’s a preview of the first slide for my thesis proposal in two weeks:
– So tired already.
– Sometimes I don’t realize how big my audience is. Sometimes I think it’s huge, but most of the time I think it’s too small.
I have 2,266 on my Facebook. 522 on my fan-page. Sadly only 117 following me on Twitter and 103 on Tumblr.
Ideally I want to reach to 14,000 in my fanpage. And 5,000 on Twitter. Yes indeed.
– Thesis is getting FIERCE. My professor was taking no prisoners today in class. We went through our keynote presentations [skeletons at this point, really] and some kids were getting way too convoluted. He shut some of them down, big time. He took it easy on me though, thankfully–he did for his entire “A-team”. It goes unspoken that he has favorites, and I know if I pointed it out to someone in class they’d agree.
– Right now I’m looking for printable plastic for my business cards. I bought a really nice leather presentation portfolio for Thursday when clients / art directors come in from AIGA. After my meeting with them, I’m hopping on a train to go see my beloved! I’ve been going to Seattle so often since May–people think I’ve moved there.
– This illustrated poster for the Wanderlust circus is going to be big. Unwoman, Nagasita, among many other performers. I’m excited at the aspect of my work being stapled all over the city!
– My short thesis statement:
- My thesis will be a six-piece visual essay, each work conjoined with it’s own argument to how or why we are moved by what we know to be fiction. Exploring strategies that have been proposed as an answer--and serving as motifs to what kind of responses are our affective responses to what we know to be fictional characters and events. I plan to create this essay using traditional and digital media. VisualStrategy One & Two First Solution: The cognitive theory; which takes beliefs and judgements to be central to the emotions. Three & Four Second Solution: Perspective; involves seeing things from another’s point of view. Five & Six Third Solution: The solipsist view; in the mind of the observer, characters and ‘real people’ are equally fictional.